Wednesday 19 June 2013

Review: 'Voices' by Hall and Oates

'Voices,' Hall and Oates, 1980, RCA. Cover: ordinary. Lyrics not included. 


We've kind of liked Hall and Oates since we were in grade school and heard 'Jingle Bell Rock' and 'Rich Girl.' Their songs can be a bit repetitive, but they often have a good beat and melody. This tape, from all the way back in 1980, has 'Kiss On My List,' one of our favourite Hall and Oates tunes.

'How Does It Feel to Be Back' is about a guy longing for his girl; 'Big Kids' is about a guy who believes his relationship with his girl will never end, and about how we're all just big kids on the inside, even if we're supposedly grown up; 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling' is about a guy who knows his girl doesn't feel the same way about him any more; the feeling of having the girl of your dreams is explored in 'You Make My Dreams'; and 'Everytime You Go Away' is about a guy who can't get a girl to see how much he loves her. (Those last two are also among our favourites.)

There's a song about a guy who's paranoid his girl will find someone new on her trip to Africa ('Africa'), and a song about the singers in the subway, a tribute to 'doo wop' songs ('Diddy Doo Wop').   

Note: mild language.

Favourite lyrics include: '(Because your kiss) your kiss is on my list/(Because your kiss) your kiss is on my list/Because your kiss is on my list of the best things in life/(Because your kiss) your kiss is on my list/(Because your kiss) your kiss I can't resist' ('Kiss On My List'). 

No comments:

Post a Comment